Saturday, July 13, 2013


Cover Letter (preceding the world's longest resume--somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 pages)

When my next book, My Life: Everything but BUY THE BOOK! (Part 1 of 2) is published the following will be on the back cover.  When the book is published I'm going to ask for your help encouraging the editors of the newspaper to give me a shot!!!  Read on:

To: Editor, Atlanta Journal-Constitution

I believe it's necessary I point out your newspaper has been missing something for the past two decades that was the original reason I was a loyal subscriber in the first place: the thrice-weekly columns of my all-time favorite writer: the late, great Lewis Grizzard.  Trust me when I say that as a loyal University of Florida graduate, it is difficult for me to admit there is in fact one good thing to come out of the University of Georgia.  Grizzard, born and raised in nearby Moreland, Georgia had a major influence on my writing style and it's beginning to pay dividends.  I've self-published five books, and the third was picked up by a prominent publishing company...that came knocking on MY door!

So now I'm ready to take it to the next level.

Consider this book as my joint job application/resume for a writing job on your editorial staff; this verbiage on the back cover is in fact my cover letter to you.  I would like to propose a new column--I could do one every day if you'd like--for your newspaper.  I wrote this book--one chapter a day--while maintaining a full time job, running 70 miles a week, caring for a houseful of cats, being the world's greatest G-Pa and staying married to my wife of 36 years.  Imagine what I could do if I only had to write two or three 'chapters' a week and actually had time to proofread and/or edit them.

I could be downright dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment