Thursday, December 18, 2014

Just Plain Stupid


I've seen a lot of things in my life that were just plain stupid.  Granted, I was responsible for most of them; just not all of them.  Here are a few that instantly come to mind every time I hear the joke about a redneck's last words being 'bet you've never seen anyone do this before!'

1.  I was at a cookout and the man responsible for grilling the hot dogs had no feeling in either hand.  Apparently he fell backwards off a ladder some point in his life and broke his fall by stretching out his arms, thus landing on his palms and destroying the nerves in both hands in the process.  What that translated to was his 'talent' for cooking the hot dogs on a hot, flaming grill by rolling them with his bare hands since he wasn't able to feel the heat.  The fire, however had another effect on him:

Me:  You realize your both of your hands are in the fire, right?
Him: (Boldly, because his chest was puffed out) Yes, but I don't feel a thing.
Me: Maybe so, but your flesh appears to be melting.

2.  There was a man who voluntarily ran across Death Valley, over two mountain ranges and all the way to the portals of Mount Whitney, a distance of 135 miles.  It was in mid-July and the temperatures reached the low 130's.  It took him over 36 hours.  But he finished, dammit.  He finished.   (OK, so this one was me.)

3.  The route I drive to work through a small town in Georgia crosses a train track.  Once in a while the train comes and when it does the railroad is blocked off by those big wooden arms with the flashing lights.  When that happens I--as well as every single other driver I've seen in the last 11 years--turn right, drive about half a mile, turn left onto a road that runs beneath the train tracks and merge back onto my normal route.  Simple.  However one day when the wooden arms with the flashing lights were staring me in the face, I happened to be the third vehicle 'in line.'  The two vehicles in front of me apparently were content to wait out the train; I wasn't.  I pulled around the two cars and turned right, just like anyone else save these two yahoos in front of me on this particular day would have done.  Big mistake: The first vehicle in line was a police car.  Instinctively I pulled over to the curb, about a nanosecond before the flashing blue lights signaled me to.  The policeman got out of his car, walked up to my window and said 'give me your license so I can write you a ticket.'  He walked back to his car and returned 30 seconds later and asked me why I would pull around a policeman at a stop sign and turn in front of him.  I said I--as well as every single other driver I'd seen in the last 11 years--did it all the time when a train came through.  The policeman then retaliated with perhaps the worst (translation: dumbest) analogy in the history of the English language by asking: 'If a policeman was watching and everyone was jumping off of the top of a building, would YOU?'  Shortly thereafter he returned my license to me and told me to 'go on…just go on.'  I consider myself fortunate this occurred at 6:58 a.m. on a Thursday morning, or two minutes before the policeman's shift was over.  His police station was directly on the other side of the railroad tracks, coincidentally.  

4.  Once upon a time I had a root canal.  Without any anaesthetic.  The end.  

5.  When Cindy and I were dating, we spent one summer at my parent's house in Virginia.  One night we went out to see a movie and on the way home decided to stop for a few minutes to park (Is that what they still call it?  Parking?) in my parent's subdivision in an area where new houses were being built.  It was raining--heavily--and the dirt we parked in soon turned into mud.  Once we realized our car was stuck in that mud, I walked to a neighbor's house and asked for their help.  I didn't bother asking for their silence because I thought that was understood.  The neighbors were able to help us get our car out of the mud that night, and 12 or 13 years later my parents finally let me in on their little secret: They knew about it the very night it happened.  Moral of the story?  Don't park in the mud.    

6.  There was a man who voluntarily ran 100 miles through the Sierra Nevada mountain range on a route that went up-and-down-and-up-and-down-and-up-and-down.  And up.  This man had no business running through the mountains, since most of his training miles were run on asphalt.  The course was exceptionally wet and the man's running shoes stayed saturated for 30 hours.  At the end of the run the man had a deep gash right down the middle of the ball of his left foot.  The best description of the foot is this: If the bottom of the foot was the state of Arizona; then the deep gash would be the Grand Canyon.  Yes, it was that deep!  (Me again.)

7.  Did you notice I didn't mention the name of the small town in #3?  That's because the men and women of the Fairburn Police Department don't have a sense of humor.  

8. In sixth grade I was sitting in the back of the classroom next to my best friend.  Abruptly he lifted his right leg and passed gas so passionately (I don't know what else to call it) that it rumbled--LOUDLY--in his wooden chair and echoed throughout the classroom.  I put my face down on my desk because I just knew I was going to laugh until I cried.  Thirty seconds later I lifted my head and saw every single face in the classroom looking directly at me.  I glanced over to my best friend and found him solemnly pointing at me--as if he was disgusted I would do such a thing.  

9.  It is entirely possible to trip over a quarter-inch rise in the asphalt while running.  It is also entirely possible to run two miles in 12 minutes with blood gushing out of a one-inch gash directly beneath your chin.  I hate that I know these things to be true.  

10.  It is entirely possible to forget the names of people you've known for two generations.  I hate that I know this to be true as well.    

Looking back over this list, perhaps I'm confusing 'stupid' with 'getting older.'  Maybe there's hope for me yet.  


The policeman in Fairburn, however, doesn't stand a chance.          

No comments:

Post a Comment