Thursday, February 6, 2014

Number 8 - Place a Bet

This year’s Super Bowl presented a couple of prospects for doing something I’ve never done before.  Having seen every single one of the first 47 Super Bowls I considered skipping this one altogether, thus making me ‘that guy’ that didn’t see the biggest game of the year.  Then again perhaps this would be the perfect opportunity for me to place a legitimate bet for the first time in my life.  After all the Denver Broncos, the highest scoring team in the history of professional football was playing a team led by a second-year quarterback.  The mighty Broncos were led by Peyton Manning, who this season had passed for the most touchdowns and the most yardage in the history of the National Football league and been named the League’s Most Valuable Player for a record fifth time.  The line in Las Vegas was Denver by three points: Hell, I would have given Seattle two touchdowns without blinking an eye. 

So skip the game, or bet on the Broncos?  It seemed pretty obvious to me. 

I considered my history of watching the first 47 Super Bowls: The first one in 1967 with my dad in a hotel room in Dallas as we were driving cross-country before moving to Hawaii; the 1969 game and rushing outside at halftime to throw the pigskin in the front yard with my best friend, fighting over which one of us would be Joe Namath; the heart-breaking 1980 game as the Steelers won their fourth Super Bowl in six years by defeating my favorite team, the Los Angeles Rams.  (Yes, at one time I actually liked professional football and even had a favorite team—an odd choice in that I had never even been to Los Angeles before.)

Then I considered my tendency to be compulsive about things: Running every day since the fall of 1978 (if I considered the equator as one lap, today I would have been running through Romania—for the sixth time); my quest to run 50 consecutive Peachtree Road Races (this year will make 36); a challenge I met in 2013 by writing a story every single day of the year (published in two books—Parts 1 and 2 of My Life: Everything But BUY THE BOOK!).  Being only two years away from watching 50 Super Bowls in a row, I deferred to my other option: Placing a sure-fire bet on the Denver Broncos.

The last time I gambled was during college.  Cindy and I used to drive from Gainesville to the Ocala Fronton to watch Jai-alai, perhaps the fastest moving sport you may have never heard of.  Long story short, it’s like a gigantic game of handball played on a three-sided basketball court with the players wearing boomerang-shaped bamboo gloves and throwing a goatskin-covered ball at speeds over 200 miles per hour.  The players sported names like Chucho #1, Chucho #2, Javier the third and Ronaldo IV.  We would place $2 wagers on a quinella, meaning we would have to correctly pick the first and second place winners in any order (for example, if we picked Chucho #2 and Ronaldo IV, as long as they were the top two performers we would win the bet, regardless of which one of them actually won the game).  We did quite well; if memory serves Cindy and I tended to be a bit compulsive when it came to our Tuesday and Friday night trips to Ocala.  The people working at the Fronton may have even considered us as ‘regulars.’

So now, 40 years removed from my last real wager, I was faced with finding a bookie.  That may have proved difficult, seeing as I’ve never met a bookie in my entire life.  But fortunately I have a friend who has a friend who knows a guy who knows another guy who has a friend who knows a guy who knows a bookie.  I gave my friend five $20 bills (the same friend who has a friend who knows a guy who knows another guy who has a friend who knows a guy who can give my money to the bookie), confident I would be getting back ten $20 bills after the big game.

A little background before kickoff: The past seven days had been pure hell.  Atlanta had a devastating three-inch snowfall (no laughing) the Tuesday before the Super Bowl.  My older son totaled his car after hitting a patch of black ice and smashing into a high concrete burb (he wasn’t hurt), my younger son had a similar accident and wrecked the front of my prized Gator Truck (he wasn’t hurt; I was—emotionally) and Cindy (as well as Justin, since Cindy made an eight-mile four-hour round trip in a snow and ice storm to pick him up on the side of the road) had to spend Tuesday night at her law firm because she couldn’t drive home since Atlanta was paralyzed from the snow and ice (like I told you before: no laughing).  Then on Super Bowl Sunday our dishwasher decided to call it quits and a couple pieces of tile broke loose from our newly remodeled front porch.  Throw in one of our cats ‘scooching’ across the carpet and leaving behind a couple of brown streaks for me to clean up and I had all the proof I needed that Karma simply hates me. 

Once toe met leather and the Super Bowl was officially underway, I had a good feeling about the game’s outcome since I was long overdue for Karma to pay me a visit.  I should have known better: Seeing my boyhood idol Joe Namath tossing the coin on the 50-yard line before the start of the game wearing a coat made out of polar bear (If I had to guess) should have tipped me off on what was going to happen next.  In other words whatever it was, it was sure to be ugly.  On the very first snap of the game Peyton Manning was calling signals and took a step towards his offensive line, a split second before the center hiked the ball to the spot Manning had been standing two split seconds earlier.  The ball rolled into Denver’s end zone for a safety.  After 12 seconds of the 48th Super Bowl the score was: Seattle – 2, Denver – 0.  The next time Denver had the ball Manning threw an interception.  Things went downhill from there:  Manning threw an interception that Seattle turned into a field goal. Manning threw an interception that Seattle returned for a touchdown.  At halftime the score was 22 – 0.  Denver had been hapless on offense for 30 minutes, but things had to improve in the second half; they just had to.  Karma, are you listening?

Apparently not.  Seattle’s Percy Harvin returned the second half kickoff for a touchdown.  The play took 12 seconds off the clock, the same amount of time it took Seattle to score in the first half.  Ah, so there’s that Karma I was looking for…

During the week leading up to the Super Bowl the talking heads of the NFL pregame shows were debating about whether or not Peyton Manning should be considered the ‘best (quarterback) ever’ if he led the Broncos to victory in the Super Bowl. Manning’s play on the NFL’s biggest stage reminded me of his four years playing quarterback for the Tennessee Volunteers.  Against my (and Percy Harvin’s) alma mater, the University of Florida, Manning’s Vols lost all four games by a composite score of 161 – 86, including 31 – 0 and 62 – 37 drubbings in his first two seasons.  Ironically, the year after Manning graduated the Vols won the NCAA National Championship led by quarterback Tee Martin, Manning’s former backup.  Karma can be cruel sometimes.    

As the Super Bowl drew to its inevitable conclusion (a 43 – 8 Seattle victory) I was feeling sort of sad I would never have the chance to meet the bookie who knows a guy who has a friend who knows a guy who knows another guy who knows my friend who I gave the $100 to wager for me a few days ago. 

As for Karma—well, like I said earlier: Karma hates me. 

As for Peyton Manning: He had a sensational season in 2013, broke a lot of records and earned the love and respect of every Bronco fan around the world.  But when all is said and done, even though he earns a kazillion dollars a year Peyton Manning and I have one thing in common:
Neither one of us won a Super Bowl this year.


Karma doesn’t think much of Peyton Manning either.    

No comments:

Post a Comment