Thursday, March 6, 2014

Number 13 - Swear off Soft Drinks

I’ve never truly given up anything for Lent.  To do without something that has been a constant in my adult life always frightened me: Hell, if it was in my life it had to be something I either needed or wanted, right?  What possible reason could there be for doing without? 

According to most of the sources I could find, here is the meaning of Lent:

To prepare for Easter by observing a period of fasting, repentance, moderation
 and spiritual discipline.

OK, point taken: This year I’ll give Lent an honest effort.  For years my close friends, my distant friends on social media and who could forget, science (damn you, science) have been warning me of the perils of drinking Diet Coca Cola, my beverage of choice.  ‘Diet Coke can be used to clean the corrosion off of battery cables,’ they warned.  ‘Diet Coke can be used to clean toilets,’ they advised.  ‘Diet Coke can be used to clean the bugs off of the front bumper of a car,’ they admonished.  OK, OK; as I was saying before, this year I’ll give it an honest effort.

The first couple of hours of Day One without Diet Coke weren’t too difficult.  My normal routine calls for two cups of coffee before my morning run.  Hopefully the coffee would provide all the caffeine I needed to make it through the day.  For that day—the very first day of Lent—that was the case: The caffeine in the coffee did the trick.  However, when I got out of bed the next morning all bets were off.  I woke up with a feint headache, blurred vision, a slight touch of vertigo (or perhaps it was nausea; it was hard to distinguish) and a strong urge to go back to sleep.  Or die.  If I didn’t know better I would have sworn I was out late the night before throwing back one boilermaker after another at the Cat’s Meow up until when the bartender called for Svend the 285-pound Swedish bouncer to toss me out on my ass because I was creating a scene. 

Those first two cups of coffee didn’t seem to make a difference.  Neither did my run on a windy 40-degree morning that remedied many-a-hangover for me in the ‘80’s.  Another mid-morning cup of coffee at the office offered no relief.  Neither did the Tootsie Rolls, handful of salted almonds or White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Clif Bar.  Maybe a large plate of orange chicken and rice for lunch would do the trick.

Then again, maybe not.  The Diet Coke withdrawal pangs continued to go on.  And on and on.

And on.

Tick, tick, tick…

Time seemed to pass by slower and slower.  Seconds seemed like minutes.  Minutes seemed like hours.  Hours seemed like days.  If Father Time and molasses were in a footrace, molasses would have lapped the old fart too many times to count.    

Speaking of ‘count:’

Lent lasts for 40 days. Forty loooong days.  It’s hard to describe the experience, other than to say I can now understand and appreciate what someone with a nicotine addiction experiences when they try to quit smoking or what someone with a running addiction experiences when they try to take a rest day (don’t look at me—I’ve run every day since November 1978 and if I ever miss a day I swear I’ll tear your throat out and did I mention that running is a great stress reliever?).  
   
Tick, tick, tick…

Headache.  Nausea.  Vertigo.  Apathy.  Anger.  Frustration.   All caused by the absence of my good friend Diet Coke.

Tick, tick, tick…

My God; when will this end?

Giving up Diet Coke for Lent proved to be one of the hardest things I’ve ever done in my entire life.  And believe me, I know the meaning of pain: I’ve had a root canal without the benefit of any anesthetic, I’ve run 135 miles across Death Valley and I sat through an entire performance of The Nutcracker in the seventh grade less.  But giving up Diet Coke?  Well, that’s just taking pain one step too far. 

Forty days?  Hell, I barely made it for 40 hours.

But it certainly seemed like 40 days. 
   
      
             





No comments:

Post a Comment