Monday, October 6, 2014

Fourth Down

The Florida Gators play the LSU Tigers in Baton Rouge, Louisiana today.  Six years ago (2007) the Gators were ranked 9th in the country when they played the Tigers, who just so happened to be ranked number one at the time.  I watched the game—a night game in ‘Death Valley’—with my dad in his hospital room in Virginia Beach.  Florida took an early 10-0 lead before the teams traded a couple of touchdowns.  In the fourth quarter and with Florida leading 24-21, LSU had one last drive in which they converted on three fourth-and-two’s (they were five-for-five on fourth down conversions in the game), ultimately resulting in a touchdown and a 28-24 LSU victory.  LSU would go on to win the National Championship, last won by the Gators. 

As you can imagine, this die-hard Gator fan had a hard time holding in his emotions during the game, particularly during that final LSU scoring drive.  Dad, knowing I was about to erupt at any minute would look over to me each time LSU converted on fourth down and hold his index finger to his lips, reminding me we were in a hospital and not to scream, holler or go bat shit crazy like I’m prone to do during any Gator game.  Although he always gave me a hard time about my beloved Gators, he knew how much they meant to me and I know deep down inside he wanted them to do well.  After all, I was his son and they were my team, so any team of mine was a team of his.

After the game dad said something I never forgot: ‘Don’t worry, you’ll get ‘em next time.’

The very next year (2008) the 12th ranked Gators hosted the 3rd ranked Tigers in Gainesville, Florida.  What a game it promised to be: Florida, the 2006 National Champions against LSU, the 2007 National Champions.   That year I watched the game at my sister’s house in Hanover, Maryland as I was in town to run the Baltimore Marathon.  I sat down in front of the television right before kickoff and told me sister I had absolutely no doubt whatsoever the Gators would win the game.  I don’t think I ever told her why and I don’t remember her even asking, but the reason was simply because of what dad had said to me one year ago: ‘Don’t worry, you’ll get ‘em next year.’ 

That night in 2007 was the last time I spent with my dad when I actually spent time with my dad.  After that night in the hospital his health took a turn for the worse, and in a matter of only three weeks he was gone.  During those final days he was in so much pain and discomfort he had very little control over himself, physically as well as mentally.  He was no longer the dad who ‘shushed’ me when I was about to erupt after every fourth down conversion by LSU… the dad who was a lifelong Washington Redskins fan and knew how much it hurt to see your team lose… the dad who could put me in my place when I deserved it… the dad who always knew how to say the right thing at the right time.   

‘Don’t worry, you’ll get ‘em next year.’

Final score: Florida – 51, LSU – 21. 

The Gators went on to reclaim the National Championship.  I had the good fortune of being at the game.

I’m pretty sure dad was there as well with a smile as wide as the Mississippi.  After all, any team of mine…


No comments:

Post a Comment