Friday, August 2, 2013

The Sweetest Sounds


The Sweetest Sounds

Over my lifetime there have been many things I’ve appreciated hearing:

·      As a youngster I loved hearing my mom call me in after an afternoon of playing in the hot sun for a glass of lemonade and a mayonnaise sandwich (exactly as you’re imagining it).

·      As a teenager I loved hearing the ‘thwack’ of my golf club striking the golf ball and instantly realizing it was going to be a good shot.

·      As a high school student I loved hearing ‘I love you’ from the girl I would one day marry and spend the rest of my life with.

·      As a young man in the world of employment I loved hearing ‘see you tomorrow’ at the end of a grueling 10 or 11-hour day.

·      As a new father I loved hearing the sound of my sons’ laughter because it indicated I must be doing something right. 

·      As a man in my 40’s I loved hearing ‘you’re in good health—see you in 12 months’ from my physician (substitute ‘six’ for ‘12’ and ‘dentist’ for ‘physician’ for another thing I loved hearing) because in spite of how bad I felt, it wasn’t that bad after all.

·      As a man in my 50’s I love hearing the quiet that one can only appreciate by waking up well before the roosters and heading out for a morning run in the solitude of the beginning of another day.   

·      Today I love hearing the sound of ‘G-Pa’ being called out because it can only mean one thing: My grandson is nearby.   

No comments:

Post a Comment