Friday, August 30, 2013

Hey There…It’s Yoga Bear!


Ever since yoga was recommended by the neurosurgeon, I’ve been getting a lot of pressure from my co-workers about getting on the bendy bandwagon.  Here’s a perfect example of the type of support I get from them.  When I returned from lunch the very next day after yoga entered into the equation, I found my bulletin board covered in pictures of Darth Vader and assorted cats in various yoga positions.  Oh, and a yoga mat for good measure. 

Since I’m about as flexible as a breadstick I’ll be honest and admit I’ve been putting yoga off as long as I could.  Well, not necessarily putting it off but using this as an excuse: ‘I’ve ordered Yoga for Dummies from Amazon and I’m going to get started once it arrives.’   That plan came to a screeching halt when my admin Susanne left a copy of Yoga 101: Poses for Beginners on my desk yesterday afternoon.  So last night while South Carolina was playing North Carolina in the first game of the college football season, I was in front of the television getting on my inner yogi (Yogi: practitioner of yoga.  Impressed?  Me, too.).

Here how it went down.  People, make way for YOGA BEAR!!!

Mountain Pose.  Stand tall with feet together, shoulders relaxed, weight evenly distributed through your soles, arms at side.  Take a deep breath and raise your hands overhead, palms facing each other with arms straight.  Reach up toward the sky with your fingertips.
    
Reality check: Stand at attention and hold your arms above your head as if you were getting ready to enter the water after jumping off the high dive at the swimming pool.  As simple as it sounds, my shoulders started burning after 30 seconds or so.  I was under the impression yoga involved sitting on the floor, stretching slightly and meditating with incense burning nearby.  Boy, did I have another thing coming.

Downward Dog.  Start on all fours with hands directly under shoulders, knees under hips.  Walk hands a few inches forward and spread fingers wide, pressing palms into mat.  Curl toes under and slowly press hips toward ceiling, bringing your body into an inverted V, pressing shoulders away from ears.  Feet should be hip-width apart, knees slightly bent.  Hold for three full breaths.

Reality check: Hold your body in ‘ready’ position as if you were about to do a pushup, then arch your body into a 90-degree angle.  Once I finished doing the Downward Dog I thought my chances of winning a bet with my friend Al were looking better and better.   A couple days ago we bet who would be able to touch their toes sooner.  Al’s starting point, according to him was eight inches from the ground.  Mine was halfway down my shin.  In other words, we’re starting dead even. 

Warrior.  Stand with legs three to four feet apart, turning right foot out 90 degrees and left foot in slightly.  Bring your hands to your hips and relax your shoulders, then extend arms out to the sides, palm down.  Bend right knee 90 degrees, keeping knee over ankle; gaze out over right hand.  Stay for one minute.  Switch sides and repeat.

Reality check: If I knew there was this much geometry in yoga I might have opted for Pilates, the neurosurgeon’s second option.  I think I might need a protractor.  I wonder if they even still make protractors.   

Tree Pose.  Stand with arms at sides.  Shift weight onto left leg and place sole of right foot inside left thigh, keeping hips facing forward.  Once balanced, bring hands in front of you in prayer position, palms together.  On an inhalation, extend arms over shoulders, palms separated and facing each other.  Stay for 30 seconds.  Lower and repeat on opposite side.

Reality check: Very similar to the Mountain Pose described earlier, except one of the legs must be tucked as if you were on the receiving end of a Figure Four Leg Lock (wrestling lexicon; Google if you must).
  
Bridge Pose.  Lie on floor with knees bent and directly over heels.  Place arms at sides, palm down.  Exhale, then press feet into floor as you lift hips.  Clasp hands under lower back and press arms down, lifting hips until thighs are parallel to floor, bringing chest toward chin.  Hold for one minute.

Reality check: Lie on your back, forming a bridge with your torso while keeping your head, shoulders and feet on the floor.  I think back to what Sheldon wrote on an Email to the work staff yesterday afternoon as he left for a four-day holiday weekend:   ‘Enjoy your holiday weekend, and remember that yoga breaks the man law! It can be found in chapter 16 of the Man Law book.’  Before he left for the day I took the time to show him Part 1 of this book; specifically the chapter titled ‘Man Card’ highlighting umbrella drinks, Meryl Streep movies and women’s basketball without any mention of yoga. 

Triangle Pose.  Extend arms out to sides, then bend over your right leg.  Stand with feet about three feet apart, toes on your right foot turned out to 90 degrees, left foot to 45 degrees.  Allow your right hand to touch the floor or rest on your right leg below or above the knee, and extend the fingertips of your left hand toward the ceiling.  Turn your gaze toward the ceiling, and hold for five breaths.  Stand and repeat on opposite side.

Reality check: Lean to the right, touch your right foot with your right hand and point your left arm at the ceiling.  Then do just the opposite.  I think back to the other day when I told Cindy ‘Yoga do I must’ and she told me speaking like Yoda had nothing to do with practicing yoga.  As much as I crack myself up all the time, I don’t have that same effect on Cindy.

Seated Twist.  Sit on the floor with your legs extended.  Cross right foot over outside of left thigh; bend left knee.  Keep right knee pointed toward ceiling.  Place left elbow to the outside of right knee and right hand on the floor behind you.  Twist right as far as you can, moving from your abdomen; keep both sides of your butt on the floor.  Stay for one minute.  Switch sides and repeat.

Reality check: Sit on your butt and tie yourself into a pretzel.  Do you know what happens when you take a breadstick and try to bend it into the shape of a pretzel?  Yeah, pretty much just like that except with a human body.  I’m going to be sore tomorrow; I just know it.

Cobra.  Lie face down on the floor with thumbs directly under shoulders, legs extended with the tops of your feet on the floor.  Tighten your pelvic floor, and tuck hips downward as you squeeze your glutes.  Press shoulders down and away from ears.  Push through your thumbs and index fingers as you raise your chest toward the wall in front of you.  Relax and repeat.

Reality check: Lay flat on the floor and push upwards as if you were trying to bend yourself backwards; sort of an inverse Japanese greeting bow.  Physically impossible for anyone not performing for Cirque du Soleil and certainly not recommended for any other human being, this one proved to be the most difficult for a person with the flexibility of a ladder.

Pigeon Pose.  Begin in full push-up position, palms aligned under shoulders.  Place left knee on the floor near shoulder with left heel by right hip.  Lower down to forearms and bring right leg down with the top of the foot on the floor.  Keep chest lifted to the wall in front of you, gazing down.  If you’re more flexible, bring chest down to floor and extend arms in front of you (Note: Not intended for me.)  Pull navel in toward spine and tighten your pelvic floor muscles; contract right side of glutes. Yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah.  Curl right toes under while pressing ball of foot into the floor, pushing through your heel.  Bend knee to floor and release; do five reps total, then switch sides and repeat.

Reality check: These instructions were harder to follow than the instructions I used to build a gym set for our boys when they were kids.  And those instructions were written in Japanese.  Did you notice ‘yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah’ in the previous paragraph?  What?  You didn’t?  Good Lord…I knew it--I’ve lost you!  Please come back; I only have two more to go….

Crow Pose: Get into downward dog position and walk feet forward until knees touch your arms.  Bend your elbows, lift heel off floor, and rest knees against the outside of your upper arms.  Keep toes on floor, abs engaged and legs pressed against arms.  Hold for five to ten breaths.

Reality check: If you were talented enough to be able to stand on your head, this is the last position you would be in before you were perpendicular to the floor.  (Does that make sense, because as I’m looking at the illustration I think I did a masterful job of translating yoga-speak into layman’s terms, if I do say so myself.)  Said so I did, be it so it must (another Yoda-ism).

Child’s Pose.  Sit up comfortably on your heels.  Roll your torso forward, bringing your forehead to rest on the bed in front of you.  Lower your chest as close to your knees as you comfortably can, extending your arms in front of you.   Hold the pose and breathe.

Reality check: This final position called for the use of a bed.  Turn out the lights; the party’s over. 

This morning when I woke up I was surprisingly sore.  Surprisingly sore as hell, in fact. 

Don’t bother to call me Yoga Bear; it just doesn’t fit.  I’ll stick with the yoga because I want to touch my toes before Al, as well as improve my running and general health.  But in the future you might want to call me by my new nickname:

Boo-Boo Bear.   

No comments:

Post a Comment