Friday, October 18, 2013

Rush Week (Part One of a Two Part Trilogy)


In the course of five days during the fall of 1974 I was initiated into a fraternity.   I remember it as if it were yesterday; the way you remember the root canal you had yesterday when you tried eating that piece of peanut brittle today.   But before you can be invited to join a fraternity, you have to experience ‘Rush Week,’ seven days you have to experience to believe.  Having never been to Mardi Gras I can only imagine Rush Week is very similar except maybe you don’t have to find a building to  urinate on in New Orleans. 

I initially went through Rush Week at the University of Florida in September of 1973, a full week before I ever slept in a classroom.  You see, Rush Week was something special…especially for an 18-year old freshman away from home for the first time AND legally allowed to consume alcohol in the state of Florida.  You could say it was something to write home about, but only a fool would even consider writing home to their parents about Rush Week.  Well, a fool and maybe a freshman or two (the two I have in mind never graduated and yes, I imagine you’re just as shocked about that now as I was back then as I’m sitting at my desk writing this using my special Sarcasm Font).  Free alcohol, free meals, plenty of girls from the fraternity’s sister sorority, loud music, games and let’s not forget the free alcohol.  You see, fraternities exist on the revenue generated by a steady flow of pledges throughout the academic school year, and they will go to great lengths to keep their respective traditions alive.  From what I could tell Phi Tau’s tradition was drinking lots of beer (Case in point: a vending machine in the game room where you could buy a beer for 25 cents) and taking pride in not being the first person to pass out at the previous night’s house party, being photographed in all sorts of compromising positions and having your photo plastered on all of the bulletin boards in the house.  That would be the house of the sister sorority, of course.   

When I went through my first Rush Week I had no intention whatsoever of joining a fraternity.  In fact I never used my real name at any of the fraternities I rushed.  I had so many different aliases I was reluctant to return to the same fraternity house twice fearing I might use the wrong name, or should I say that one of the brothers may have been sober and/or coherent enough to realize the ‘Steve’ he met two days ago looked an awful lot like this ‘Taz’ guy he was meeting today.

Fast forward: Fall of 1974.  I broke down and pledged Phi Kappa Tau fraternity, primarily because (a) I enjoyed the company of their brothers and (b) I enjoyed the free beer served at the Rathskellar, our very own on-campus bar, coincidentally and ever-so-conveniently staffed entirely by the brothers of Phi Kappa Tau.  My first hurdle was telling the brothers my real name, as I had gone through several nights of Rush Week with them as Clarence Barrow.  I even embellished my name by telling them my nickname was ‘Clyde,’ as in Clyde Barrow, the infamous partner of Bonnie Parker. 

Literary time out: When the movie Animal House premiered several years later, my entire review of the film consisted of four words: ‘Been there, done that.’  I just wanted to keep things in perspective; we were not choirboys. 

So it came as no surprise when the brothers bestowed upon me my official pledge name: The Counterfeit Clyde (I had two other pledge names as well, both much too inappropriate for this forum).  After a couple of months as a pledge it was time for the moment of truth: Hell Week.  Following are the ground rules handed down to the 14 of us ‘neophytes’ as we entered into the worst week of our short lives:

·      First order of business: Dress Code.  Coats and ties must be worn anytime a pledge leaves the fraternity house.  I imagine my fellow students in class must have thought of me back then what I think of men in their 30’s playing Dungeons and Dragons at the local comic book store today. (I think they're the Cat's Meow, in case you're wondering.)   
 
·      Second order of business:  Communication.  Don’t speak to anyone other than a fraternity brother (who must be the one to initiate the communication) or a member of the university faculty or staff.  Fortunately the only person I even wanted to speak to was Cindy, who had just transferred to the University of Florida after spending her freshman year at a junior college in Jacksonville.  Fortunately she was always the type of student who actually studied, so she had plenty to keep her busy while I was otherwise engaged.  

·      Third order of business:  Love life.  If you have one, put it on hold.  Hopefully it will still be there for you should you survive Hell Week.  One of the brothers (Andy, a junior from Tennessee as big as a barn and sporting a head full of steel wool) asked me for Cindy’s phone number ‘since I wouldn’t have any use for it.’  Without blinking I called out seven numbers, the seven numbers of the local pest control center where I bought a mouse once a week to feed my pet boa constrictor during my freshman year.  If Andy ever called the number, he may have been too embarrassed to confront me about it. 

·      Fourth order of business:  Hygiene.  An allowance of five minutes a day for a shower, shave and ‘all things bathroom.’  You’d be surprised how much you can get done in five minutes, as long as you’re able to go seven days without a bowel movement.    

·      Fifth order of business:  Diet.  An allowance of three meals a day, and no snacks.  I surprised myself with how many yeast rolls, ice cream sandwiches and milk I was able to consume in one sitting.  Of course I had a similar diet for three years of high school so this was actually nothing new.  Forget I even mentioned it.   

·      Sixth order of business:  Obey.  Do whatever a brother asks you to do, no questions asked.  Remember Andy?  He asked me to hold out my hand so he could flick his cigarette ashes into it, reminding me that ‘no ashes better end up on the floor.’  I had no problem with the ashes, at least those without any fire smoldering within.  If I would have had the presence of mind I would have rubbed my hand on his head to find out what type of chemical reaction fire, ash, steel wool and Geri Curl might generate.  But alas, I shook the burning ashes out of my hand and they fell to the floor.  Moments later I fell to the floor as well, as Andy commanded me to ‘drop to the floor and give me 25.’  And yes, back then I could do 25 sit-ups.  I find it irrelevant it took me almost 30 minutes.

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment