Monday, November 11, 2013

Passing the Torch (November 10, 2013)


I haven’t run well in just over six years.  While the yoga has been helping with my running the past couple of months, it’s still nothing worth writing home about.  Heck, it’s not even worth writing about period, so forget I even mentioned it.

I met Ferit Toska, a graduate student from Turkey at the University of Florida about a year after my running began its dramatic nosedive.  In February of 2008 I was speaking at the exposition for the Five Point of Life Marathon in Gainesville, Florida.  Ferit was in my rather small audience and I could tell from the eye contact he maintained with me throughout my 40-minute presentation he had the desire to be a runner; one of the best.  He spoke with me afterwards and said he wanted to run the half-marathon the next day in 1:52, or as he put it ‘5:20 per kilometer.’  I was going to be running the full marathon, but I said I would be glad to run the first 13.1 miles with him.  In a pair of soccer shoes and with me by his side, Ferit ran his first half-marathon in 1:49.  He hasn’t looked back since.

Cindy and I have been friends with Ferit and his wife Gizem ever since.  When we travel to Gainesville for a Gator football game or a race we spend the weekend with them, and when they come to Peachtree City for a race they spend the weekend with us.  Two years ago this month they had their first child, a boy they named Derin.  Today Cindy and I consider the three of them as family and I trust they feel the same way about us.

Ferit and I run together every chance we get.  When we do I offer suggestions to promote Ferit’s talent at running further and faster, while Ferit reciprocates by encouraging me to cut back on my mileage and allowing my body to heal.  So far Ferit has been doing a much better job of listening than me, as he continues to amaze me with the speed and endurance he’s been showing at such an early stage in his running career while I continue pounding my body with more mileage than I should.  

A little more than one year ago Ferit and I went for a 10-mile run on a Saturday morning before a Florida Gator football game.  I was still battling some leg issues at the time and failed to lift my right foot high enough to clear a slight rise in the sidewalk with only a mile left in our run.  I hit the sidewalk with a perfect three-point landing, the three points being my right palm, my right elbow and my right knee.  All three were bleeding profusely as I lie there in the middle of the sidewalk.  Ferit asked it I needed help (getting to my feet): I said ‘no’ while my body clearly was signaling for an ambulance.  I looked up at Ferit and said ‘I think it’s time I passed you the torch,’ meaning it was now his time to be the better runner, the faster runner, the longer runner…and most certainly the wiser runner. 

One month later Ferit won one of my favorite races, the Tallahassee Ultra Distance Classic 50-Miler with an outstanding time of 6:34:53.  If you do the math you’ll find he averaged less than eight minutes per mile…for 50 miles!   I wasn’t there to see it personally, but moments after Ferit won, the Race Director—a very good friend of mine—Emailed me in amazement about Ferit’s run.  (Note: I told the Race Director before the race to ‘watch out for Ferit’.)  I sent a note back to him saying pretty much what I said to Ferit four weeks earlier: ‘It’s about time for the torch to be passed.’

This weekend the Toska’s—Ferit, Gizem and our ‘second grandson’ Derin—spent the weekend with us.  Ferit was running in my event, the Peachtree City 50K.  On race morning I woke up early to get to the start of the race to get things set up.  Before I left I put a copy of my book Distance Memories by the coffee maker on the kitchen counter with a note:

Happy Birthday!  You’ll enjoy the chapter titled ‘Gainesville.’ 
Be sure to read pages 237-239.
  Today will be the official Passing of the Torch.

I wrote in those identified pages of four runners who have incredibly bright futures in front of them.  Ferit Toska is one of them.

Ferit won the Peachtree City 50K today, running a spectacular race and finishing over 14 minutes in front of the second place male.


The torch has now officially and unequivocally been passed.  I trust Ferit will keep it burning for quite some time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment