Monday, June 3, 2013

Amy's Challenge


After posting my first  blog on June 1 I got the following comment from a friend of mine, Amy Yanni:

So. Ahem. You seem to have forgotten something. The blog says you run and write. 
Since you run every day, aren't you going to write every day?

Today is as good a day as any to let Amy--and the rest of you in on a little secret: I have been writing every day this year, and if things go according to plan that will continue through December 31, 2013.  

All this towards a project I've had in mind since the middle of last year.  

Last summer a friend of mine and I were joking about writing down the best thing that happened every single day in 2013.  Anything from a simple 'thank you' from a counter clerk at Taco Bell to a winning lottery ticket--and everything in between would be fair game.  Then I thought how interesting it might be to make a journal of the best of anything and everything I thought of, heard, saw, remembered and/or experienced every single day for an entire year.  

2013 was as good a year as any.  åt the moment  I am less than four weeks away from reaching 50% of my goal.  I have accumulated almost 300 single-spaced typewritten pages so far and intend to publish the first six months into Part 1 (of 2) of My Life has been anything but BUY THE BOOK (with those last three words in very large font on the cover).  

If you have read any of my books or articles you probably know my writing style has been greatly influenced by the late Lewis Grizzard, former writer for the Atlanta Constitution.  Several of my friends have been 'test reading' the manuscript and i have gotten some pretty good feedback.  The book is a little different from my other five books as it's not about running.  Well, it's got a little bit about running in it, but if you know me at all you would expect no less.  For the most part the book is humorous, but it has its moments of pathos and serious thoughts about serious subjects.  

What is in it?  A quick spot check of the second chapter, February (working title) includes ramblings about cataract surgery, the Super Bowl, Survivor, ridiculous state laws, achieving the rank of Cardinal Puff, throwing away money, laundry, Valentine's Day, bachelor parties and work ethic.  And there's 18 other stories I didn't even mention.  And there will be 153 others in Part 1.  

So Amy, there's your answer.  Yes, I am going to write every day.  So my question to you is:

When this book is published are you going to be reading every day?    

          

No comments:

Post a Comment