Saturday, June 1, 2013

Hello, it's me

I’ve been running since the summer of 1978.  The last day I didn’t run was on November 29, 1978.  I’ve got one of the longer consecutive-days running streaks in the country, but my overall ranking changes occasionally; if you want the latest you should check www.runeveryday.com for the most current standings.  As of today I have the 31st longest streak in the country, but I understand the Top Dog, Mark Covert will be voluntarily ending his streak late next month.  Barring any ‘newbie’ coming out of the woodwork before then I’ll move into the coveted Top Thirty.  It’s hard to believe that only 19 years ago I was ranked…9th.  Damn woodwork.

I love running.  Ever since my first three miles in (of all places) Piedmont Park in Atlanta, Georgia it’s been my passion.  I ran my 130,000th lifetime mile with my good friend Al Barker last Groundhog’s Day.  I ran my 200th marathon last December in Honolulu (it was also a wedding anniversary trip—our 35th, by the way—for my wife Cindy and I).  I ran my 50th ultra two years ago at Comrades, way the hell over in South Africa.  Next month I’ll run my 35th consecutive Peachtree Road Race.  So yes, you could say I have a passion for running.

I enjoy directing races as well.  In the 1990’s I helped establish the Run for Alex 5K in Peachtree City, Georgia (now called the Huddleston Hustle).  In 2002 I directed the inaugural Peachtree City 50K, now an annual event on the second Sunday in November.  A 25K option was added in 2007.  The first Darkside 8-Hour Run was held in 2003, also now an annual event.  I direct the Darkside Running Club’s Free Marathon Series (New Year’s Day, Memorial Day and Labor Day) as well as an occasional bonus marathon on Thanksgiving Day and/or Christmas (yes, Christmas).  This year was the first Running Dead Ultra run through the beautiful country roads of Senoia, Georgia…where many of the scenes in the television series The Walking Dead are filmed (downtown Senoia is ‘Woodbury’ on the show!).  If you’re a fan of the show you would recognize many of the sights along the course.   

I’ve been actively involved in numerous running clubs through the years. I joined the Atlanta Track Club shortly after I moved to Atlanta in 1979, and ran for the Men’s Competitive Team between 1994 and 2003 when I still had a hint of speed.  I’m a current member of GUTS (although I’m not the most formidable trail runner in the world), the Gulf Winds Track Club, the United States Running Streak Association, the 100 Marathon Club and the 50 States Marathon Club.

I, along with Al Barker and four other running pals formed the Darkside Running Club in December of 2001.  The club offers a unique lifetime (mine, because when I’m gone that’s all she wrote) membership with some really nice benefits, such as a quarterly club newsletter (one of the best in the country; quite possibly the best), an annual sponsored race that essentially ‘refunds’ your lifetime dues; a Darkside patch; a host of club-sponsored races (some free, some not but still very affordable); and a connection to an amazing network of runners from all over the world who collectively know and/or have personally experienced virtually everything in the world of running.  Our membership includes fast runners, slow runners, ultra runners, race directors, running club Presidents, running magazine editors, world-famous runners (join us to find out who!), race volunteers, writers and running organization officials.  All of the money generated from club dues and club races with entry fees are turned right back over to the club members, via the annual sponsored race, the free marathons and various giveaways throughout the year.  I doubt you’ll find another club like it (but feel free to try).  Please check out our club website at www.darksiderunningclub.com.

 I also like to write.  I’ve contributed articles through the years to numerous running magazines (Running South, the Running Journal, Running Times, Ultrarunning) and have written a monthly article for The Georgia Runner (my column is called Running through My Mind) for the last five years.  I also have written and/or compiled over 3,500 pages of the Darkside Running Club newsletter, absolutely true…Tales from the Darkside over the past 11+ years. 

But what I enjoy writing most of all are books.  I’ve self-published five books since 2007 and had the good fortune of a major sports publisher, Meyer and Meyer (who also publishes Jeff Galloway’s books) purchase the rights to my third book, A Few Degrees from Hell, a compilation of stories from the 2003 Badwater Ultramarathon, arguably the hottest of all the 135-mile runs through Death Valley in the dead of summer.  I wanted to start this blog to promote my books because each one of them was written with one primary objective in mind: To provide a glimpse into the mind, body and soul of a runner.  That, in turn will serve to inspire and motivate others to run; to inspire and motivate current runners to strive for more; and to promote a lifestyle that includes running.  I also enjoy promoting runners whom inspire and motivate me.  Last but not least, it is my way of sharing the passion I have for the greatest sport on the planet.    

3 comments:

  1. Great start Scott....Blogging is an excellent way to connect to other like minded people....well, running with like minded people is better than blogging, but we can't run 24/7! Or could we?
    Keep writing...I will keep reading.
    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. So. Ahem. You seem to have forgotten something. The blog says you run and write. Since you run every day, aren't you going to write every day?

    Amy Yanni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott - I love it and I'm glad you have started a blog. I'm adding you to my favorites of other runner's and walker's blogs that I follow. I'm glad you are still out there running, writing and now blogging. I'll be here reading and following your adventures. Mellody Hughes

    ReplyDelete