Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day



Several years ago the church Cindy and I attend, Community Christian Church (Sharpsburg, Georgia campus) offered the congregation the opportunity to adopt a child through Compassion International, an ‘advocate for children to release them from their spiritual, economic, social and physical poverty and enable them to become responsible and fulfilled Christian adults,’ according to their mission statement.  On this particular Sunday Cindy and I worked at Grand Central, the information center at church following the service, so we were late-comers to the area in the lobby offering the Compassion International program.  There were only a few child information index cards remaining on the table, but I knew instantly when I glanced at the first card I picked up would be the one for Cindy and I.  The young girl’s name was Thassie and she was born on December 24, the same day as my dad who had passed away a little over a year before.  We’ve proudly sponsored her ever since.    

Cindy and I received a letter from Thassie not too long ago.  Thassie wrote the letter on April 25th but for whatever reasons it took almost two months for it to make its way from Haiti to our mailbox in Peachtree City.  Here is her letter in its entirety:

I greet you with a lot of smiles, Cindy and Scott.  How are you?  I am OK.  My school activity is going well.  During Easter I participated in a seminar in my church: ‘Love and Grace of God.’ The week of the seminar was nice, and my soul was blessed.  What did you do for Easter?  Did you go to church?  Please pray for my success.

Thassie included a couple of her drawings and an outline of her Christian Learning, reporting that her favorite Bible story is Joseph and her favorite thing she learned about Jesus is His love. 

I wrote Thassie a letter in return.  Sadly, it was the first occasion I had taken the time to do so.

Sweet Thassie,

Cindy and I send our love and smiles to you.  We are both well and hope you are as well.  Yes, we went to church on Easter and spent the afternoon with our two sons, Justin and Josh.  We enjoyed dinner and spending time together.  Cindy and I enjoy being members of our church, and it sounds like you are really enjoying your church, too.  It sounds like you enjoyed your seminar!  We’re really happy for you!

I want you to know you share the same birthday as my father.  His name was Harvey and he passed away in October of 2007.  I think about him and miss him every day.  Especially today, as it is Father’s Day in our country.  Men all over the United States either visit their father, talk to them on the telephone or in my case remember all the good times we had as father and son.  I think often about the things my father taught me and how much I become like him more and more every day.

I imagine you share many of the fine qualities my father had.  You seem very kind, very committed and very happy.  So was my father.  It’s no wonder you were born on the same day, December 24.

Cindy and I think of you often, and please know we are praying for your success.

Fondly,

Scott

On today’s prayer request card in church I wrote:

Please pray for Thassie’s success and for my father’s soul. 
They are two very special people.

God bless you, Thassie.

 And Happy Father’s Day, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment